Geneva, Switzerland, June 5, 2014 -. The International Labour Organization (ILO) chose Mexico as Titular Member of the Board of Directors of the Organization for the period 2014-2017.
The announcement was part of the 103rd Session of the International Labour Conference, held from 28 May to 12 June in Geneva, Switzerland.
Mexico won the nomination with 239 votes of 255 ballots cast, which became the largest number of supporters in the region of the Americas, in what was a historic vote for the region, because the elections were held by open and direct membership vote.
The choice of Mexico as a Full Member of the Board will strengthen the country’s presence in the international workplace, and will have a greater say within the main international forum in the field.
Mexico with the rest of the elected countries will work on issues such as:
- Care of the informal sector
- Transition from the informal to the formal economy
- Importance of promoting decent work as a means to eradicate poverty
- Ensuring social protection for all workers
- Fostering employability, social protection and productive employment
- Expand and strengthen the democratization of labor productivity, training and worker training
Mexican Business Web